Re: Upgrades

To: <SJagGo@aol.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Upgrades
From: "Phil Johnson" <spitfire.man@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:40:02 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: <SJagGo@aol.com>
To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: 22 November 1999 05:33
Subject: Upgrades

> Greetings all,
> I'm in the process of restoring a `63 Spitfire and am considering a few
> changes.
> 1) I would like to replace the old cast iron rear main seal with the
aluminum
> housed neoprene seal.  Has anyone done this.  What were your results?

You will have to either have the crankshaft machined to have the reverse
scroll (a backwards 'thread' on it to push any oil back into the sump)
removed and find a seal that will fit, or, more easily, get a later
crankshaft that does not have the reverse scroll on it and use that with the
rear housing and seal. IMHO the cast iron rear main seal does the job of
stopping oil coming out just fine, unless you park the car on a very steep
hill.

> 2)  I'd like to substitute a 1500 rear transverse spring for the early
type,
> by using 1500 studs and blocking off the 2 extra mounting holes.  At the
same
> time I believe I'd need to substitute a 1500 anti-roll bar for the old
11/16
> Mark1.  Has anyone done this, and what were the results?

Did that on my Mk2, and found the handling to be a vast improvement. Having
said that, I did this before the re-introduction of the camber
compensators - and these do not need the front anti roll bar changing due to
the retention of rear roll stiffness, but they do reduce the ground
clearance below the diff. To block off the redundant centre mounts, I cut
the old studs down, cut a slot in them and screwed them in using a bit of
thread lock to prevent them moving again.

> 4 Mark1's
> 3 1500's

What, 7 spitfires? And four of them Mk1's? If you ever want to sell an early
one....

Regards
==
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
77 TR7 ACG15216