Re: Seized Trunion Bolts!

To: gfaber <gfaber@fast.net>
Subject: Re: Seized Trunion Bolts!
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:14:23 -0500
> Hello to the List

Hi, Gerry!

> Im upgrading my front suspension with new urethane bushings and shocks
> and found my trunions were really sloppy, so I removed  the lower nut to
> the trunion and the bolt spins freely, but all the pounding in the world
> won't drive that sucker out

Sounds familiar

> Im figuring its froze to the sleeve

Yup :{

> any tips on getting it out besides drilling it out?

You can try soaking it a few nights in a row with PB Blaster, and pound
some more.

When you give up on that, use a hacksaw. Assemble the blade inside the
lower A-arm. Cut between the bronze trunnion and the lower arm, being
careful not to nick either one too much. It can be done - the "washer"
part of the nylon insert is thicker than a hacksaw blade.
Tearing/cutting/grinding out the washer part at both ends before you
start gives you at least a chance. Do the head end of the bolt first,
'cause you might get lucky and not have to cut the threaded end
(happened to me once).

Doesn't sound like much fun, does it? Believe me, It's not!!! Use
anti-seize liberally on reassembly so it won't happen again.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald