Re: Cams

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cams
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 06:15:50 -0800 (PST)

that first cam (from spitbits) looks like the one i got from
BPNW.  it came with a spec sheet that said it had a power band
starting around 2200rpm.  i am very happy with it, and it gave a
noticable increase over stock with no other improvements to the
engine or exhaust or intake.  since then, i've changed part
piece-meal to determine what made an improvement and what
didn't.  i guess what i'm saying is that it made good
improvements to the spitfire without taking anything away from
it's streetability.  also, i can get an even idle at as low as
800rpm.  (i was told it would have to be at 1000rpm to be nice
and smooth)

--- "Bowen, Patrick A" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil> wrote:

> I am getting to the  point in my restoration where I need to
> select my cam.
> I have a good stock cam, but since I am making other mods, I
> would like to
> add to this.  I currently am running a 1500 engine, with high
> compression
> pistons, weber DGV, and header, oh and no emissions gear
> (since I am
> ignoring any and all emission laws anyhow, don't let those
> enter the
> conversation).  I want a good streetable spit, but with some
> power. I don't
> mind having to take idle up to 1000 or 1200 rpm if that is
> required.  I
> spoke to Nigel at Spitbits and he recommeded his cam that has
> the following
> specs. he said its power was from 3000 to 6500 I believe.
>
> .415 intake lift      272deg duration
> .400 exhaust lift     270 deg duration
>  with the intake timing being 22 - 70
> and the exhaust timing being 62 -28
>
> and here are Ted Shumachers specs from his web page.
>
>  B .409" 280 degrees 3500-6000 Good mid-range $110
> TSI275-4 .425" 275 degrees 3000-6500 Flat power curve $125
>  A-6 .391" 288 degrees 4000-7000 Marginal for street $140
> A-8 .465" 290 degrees 4500-7500 Race only $140
> TSI298-4 .485" 298 degrees 4500-8000 Race only $140
>
> What is all this information I am looking at and what is the
> list
> recommendation for a cam? what will I get with each of these
> cams.  Or
> should I just keep a stock cam?
>
> Patrick Bowen
> '79 Spitfire