Re: Seats

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seats
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 21:13:33 -0400
I was going to say that I've seen several restomods of spits that were
using the corbeau seats, and they look like they fit well in the car. But
I've never heard anyone say anything about the comfort of a Corbeau seat.
(One of the things I liked so much about the spitfire is that I'm 6'2" and
can fit in the car quite comfortably, and I think part of it has to do with
the seats.)

I really want my car to look nice, but I hear from so many people that own
spits as well as people that ride in my car how comfortable the stock spit
seats are. And I think you might be sacrificing comfort for cost.

If you decide to get the Newton made to original spec seat covers and
foams, get a set of hog-ring pliers. I put mine together with regular
needle nose and slip-joints and had sore hands for a week.

When I did the upholstery on the 50 ford, I got the hogring pliers and the
hog-rings went on without any problem. It took the better part of a weekend
to clean the rails, remove the old mildewed covers, paint the rusty parts
and then put it all back together with new spit foams and covers.

Also, I want to say that I may have been just lucky, but the covers
lined-up really well, and the end result looks really good even on the
harry home-owner jobs that I've seen at shows.

But you are right...those kits are expensive. (I think I paid $450 for my
set.)

If you're really price conscious, Newton will sell you the stuff direct
from England.
I no longer have the price sheets, but I seem to remember that after the
conversion rates the cost was close to around $200-$300 for everything (the
price of about one corbeau seat).

If you do get a new-styled seat from a junkyard or seat manufacturer, save
those seat frames that you have. I've seen a lot of requests from people
looking for them on lists over the years.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 spit 1500
Maryland

P.S. The vinyl is very durable and matches the rest of the interior. After
getting cought in a few down-pours I'm very happy I didn't pay the extra
$100 for the leather
upgrade. If you have a trailer queen and if it lives in it's own
environmentally controlled garage, and it stays there most of the year.
Then you might consider the leather.