Tip of the day

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tip of the day
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 15:40:30 -0400
I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned this on the list, but I was having
electrical problems with my car about 2 weeks ago (A dead short kept blowing
the fuse for the running lamps). And I had gone through about 12 fuses trying
to find the unlikely source of the problem.

Well, as you probably know, fuses aren't cheap. So a guy at the office saw
me working on my car and brought me a car resto magazine that had a tips
section. One of the tips was, to keep from continually having to replace those
$.60-$1.00 fuses, do the following:

Using a blown glass fuse, a circuit breaker and short length of insulated
wire..

Take the dc breaker (rated for 20 amps?) and to the conductors solder
individual
pieces of wire, then solder the other ends individually to each end of the
broken glass fuse.

You hit the button on the breaker to reset it, and if you haven't
fixed the fuse problem, the breaker will pop-off. hit the button as often as
you like (but don't hold the button down! You might blow whatever the fuse
was protecting.)

I would suggest making the two wires just long enough to set the breaker on
your car's shelf and reach to the highest fuse panel slot.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland