Re: camber compensator

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: camber compensator
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:09:22 -0700

"Peter S." wrote:

> Independent suspension can give a smooth straight ahead ride.  But swaybars
> make for better cornering.  Sway bars also couple the two sides thus making
> it no longer independent.  But that is the trade off.  When you hit a bump
> on one side it can transfer via the swaybar to the other side.  Unless they
> are very stiff bars this is usually minimal but its the trade off to better
> cornering.  I don't think there is a car made today that doesn't have at
> least a front sway bar.  My moms Lexus rides incredibly smooth considering
> it has front and rear bars.

Peter,
Good point!  I think with the way that the rear sway bar is attached, it
not only makes for a bumpier ride but puts added stress on the
suspension components.  With no lower wishbone the axle itself acts as
the lower swivel component of the suspension,  When you add another
lower fixed component like a wishbone you must have a flex joint in the
axles to absorb those stresses.  The rear sway bar being a fixed
component would have that effect.  Without a flex joint (rotoflex or CV)
the stresses would be exerted on other compoinents.

Because the camber compensator is not a fixed component, it does not
fall into that category.

One note on the early Spitfire Fixed spring:  Since it is firmly
attached to the differential and has more leaves than the later
swing-spring, it lessens the body roll and the need for a sway bar back
there.  Increasing the size of the front sway bar has an added effect of
decreasing body roll at the back as well.

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer