From Commission years to gearboxes

To: spitlist@gte.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: From Commission years to gearboxes
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:13:16 -0700
Well, it all makes my head spin.  But, another question.  Is there any database
that
tracks gearbox numbers?

I have one I need to overhaul, from a 1500, but the gears do not  match what is
expected in a stock box.  I have very complete records of the repair hx of the
car from
the 1st and only other owner, not showing any transmission work.
Possibilities:  1.
They held out on me and someone did stick  in some odd gears from another make
or
something.  2.  They put in a whole different gear box.  3.  This car came with
an odd
one.  #1 is my guess, but ..

Unfortunately I got all the parts for a standard rebuild (21 > 17 tth switch),
assuming
it was standard,  before finding out the laygear and input side don't match.
So, I'm
looking for a way to find out what I have so I can find out what I need.  I
should
probably give up and buy another box, but I'm not ready to give up yet.
Besides, it
seems wasteful to not preserve it.

Joe Curry wrote:

> Gary,
> It obviously doesn't, except to say that perhaps the plate was made in
> May and the car completed in June.  That may be the answer because yours
> is very close to the start of the model production.
>
> Of course, I have found other anomalies that contradict what I have been
> told by the BMIHT.  One glaring example is in the new VIN number
> sequences.  According to the BMIHT, there were no Spitfires that have a
> year designation of 9 in the VIN number.  But I have been shown proof of
> the existence of several with that designation.  Go figure!
>
> Regards,
> Joe
>
> Gary Tash wrote:
> >
> > My 1500 FM 90039U states, on the door plate, that it was made in May of
>1978, how
> > does that square with, "In June of 1978, FM90001 was built?"
> >
> > Joe Curry wrote:

<cut>