Re: 79 spitfire, height problem

To: "John Reynolds" <jfreynolds@briefcase.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 79 spitfire, height problem
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:39:19 +0100
At the front you might look at your anti role bar.  These bend with use
where there is more force on one side.  Partly driver weight, partly people
tend to go round corners faster if they driver is taking the longer route.
So right hand bends in LHD cars, and left hand bends in RHD cars.

Well I've noticed I do anyway.

Take off the anti-role bar and have a look at how the car lies, look at the
role bar for streightness.  You should have the two ends touching ground and
no gap at one end or the other along the middle where that's touching the
ground.

This is now done on level ground, it has to be realy good level ground as
well, no undulations.

Put the back on axil stands in the only place you should use on a spitfire,
the rear chassis, by the towing eyelets.  Take your jack and jack up the
chassis dead center under the bolt on the engin crank.  Take a tape mesure
and measuer from the front chassis out riggers under the pedals.  Are these
even, if not you have a bent chassis.

If the anti-role bar is bent have a (truck) spring place streighten it, then
replace on the car.  Now the front and rear (because you know your chassis
is streight) of the car should be level when the rear is jacked under the
diff (you may prefir the chassis, but just make sure it's in the middle).
If not, you must suspect the springs or front suspension.  Check all the
componentry is the same etc.  Yours is works at the back so I doubt this.

Spitfire springs tend to snap to one side of the diff, but where you can't
inspect until it's out.  This can lead to a lean.  My rear spring was just
warn and replaceign it did the trick, although my anti role bar is slightly
bent the amount was so small it didn't warent fixing.

Hope this helps

James