Re: ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World

To: James Carpenter <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: ROBSON - page 10, August 99 Triumph World
From: William Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:10:03 +0100
James Carpenter wrote:

> As a younger reader, I don't read those parts of the Mag unless I am
> suffering from insomnia.  I read the main glossy articles, the news, all the
> running reports, and maybe the final page and down under bits. Love the
> technical advice bits.  However on this occasion I did read it (yep
> difficulty sleeping:-), and although offensive, I found it more boring than
> offensive.  I did recognise sweeping statements in it.  Sort of thing my
> grandfather would get say in a loud voice in pubs, just to get a reaction.
>
> And as for one famous supplier shutting up, well I had herd roomers about
> this.  What I had heard was that a very reliable one was closing down at the
> end of the year to the owner could emigrate to Australia!  Can anyone
> confirm or deny.

James,
        It's common knowledge that John Kipping is emigrating to New Zealand,
but what happens to the business is anyone's guess. He will not sell to
one other supplier in particular, though I have heard various rumours
over who will take over. John was non-commital when I spoke to him on
Saturday, if I win the lottery in the near future I'll buy him out!

> I do have a point to raise which he didn't but should have in favour, I
> think that the Triumph needs to corner off it's anoraks and train spotters
> types in the sides, and leave the more outward going interesting people in
> the forefront.  The only way to beet the death of the marquee is to keep
> young people interest, something the Mini does very well.

Why do you assume that the older enthusiasts are "anoraks and
trainspotters"? I assume you are a TSSC member in the Oxford area from
what you've said in the past - I don't remember seeing you at any Club
Meetings. If you attended, you might be surprised to find one of our
"Boy-Racer" members is in his 50s, and has been modifying Triumphs of
all sorts since 1960! He currently drives a fully rebuilt 13/60 Estate
with 1500 Overdrive running gear, and a 2.5 Litre "GiTfire" (his name,
not mine), which he drives at incredibly high speeds! Equally, I've been
collecting rare and early models since I was 25 - I am now 32, and I
consider the work I have put into researching Triumph history of
considerable value. I expect you will find my passion for original
unrestored cars incompatible with my ownership of a tatty, modified
Herald 1200 Saloon. Horses for courses - I wouldn't dream of altering my
31,000 mile MkIV Spitfire - the vast majority of them have been driven
into the ground, with far too few original examples left. My MkIII on
the other hand has been abused and has little originality, so I will
alter and improve as I see fit.
        Incidentally, we were camping at a rally (Wroughton Nostalgia Show) a
couple of years back, where our stand was adjacent to the local Mini
Club, who were mostly under 22. They gave up trying to keep up with our
partying and went to bed around 12 o'clock.

 If this means
> changing some journalists, and giving the concourse crowd a rival then maybe
> it's for the best!  Maybe there should be some less elitist than the
> concourse,

Unfortunately, winning at concourse is often related to wallet size.

something like, most loved car, or most practical, maybe most fun
> and least tacky modifications!  The one I would win, maybe is most fettled
> car.
>
> And carry on pub club meetings, there great!

How about The Star at Stanton St.John on the first Wednesday, or The
White Hart at Fyfield on the third Monday? We don't bite,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup