1500 Brake master cylinder rebuild

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Brake master cylinder rebuild
From: W0X0F@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 06:00:40 EDT
Hello all.

Wondering how to get the new rubber "donut"-shaped seal over
the last component to go back in my Spit 1500 dual line master
cylinder.  The component in question is the one secured by the
circlip and may be called either the pushrod or the primary or
secondary plunger--my manual is not clear on the name.

My father attempted to stretch the "donut" last time (with a
screwdriver) and snapped it in two!  This time, should I heat it in
water or just build a plastic or wood cone-shaped "ramp" and lubricate
the ramp with brake fluid?  I really don't want to snap another one.
In any case, it appears that the "donut" seal must stretch to 2 to 3
times its present inside diameter to clear the two large
"dumbell"-looking ends of this pushrod.

Thanks

Tom
'74 1500 w/1296cc MK III eng.