Electrical Loom question

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electrical Loom question
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <aidan@acquirer.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:45:06 +0100
The second casualty of the weekend drive with the Mk 2 around the west was
the electric wiring. The right-hand rear indicator had failed for some
reason on me, and took with it the rear tail lights. When pulling the master
light switch I managed to short something, and as a result a huge cloud of
smoke appeared under the passenger side of the dash. This looked really good
as I was stopped in a petrol station at the time. The guy who was about to
fill the tank took a step back, and was extremely cautious with me after
that. Anyway to the question...

Which is better (for electrics that have a good unknown quality)...

a) Just replace the wiring loom totally, getting a 307180 from Rimmers
(GBP132)

b) Partially disassemble what I have and patch it up

c) Build my own loom based on a total disassemble

Keep in mind that I have a negative earth Mk 2 car (...some PO), and an
unusual reversing light arrangement (which also don't work anymore).

My preferred option is actually 'c', because I'll be able to individually
confirm and test each part of the circuit, and uprate anything that I'm not
100% on. 'a' is possibly cheaper in the long run, but might not count on the
"local" conditions of the car. With 'b' I'm bound to miss something, and
have more smoke under the dash!

Thanks again,

Aidan