Re: Spit Longevity

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Longevity
From: "Aidan Corcoran" <aidan@acquirer.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:49:33 +0100
More €0.02 (two euro cents!)

>HA - My car supposedly only has 60K on it, of which I have put on 3K. I
have
>basically replaced the car in those 3 thousand miles.

My Mk2 clock says 44K (1K is mine) but I have no idea if it's 1/2/3 44K.
With 15 owners since 1977, and 11 years unaccounted for before that I have
no idea what the many DPOs have done.

>That includes a new
>engine, new throwout bearing, new brake rotors and pads, rebuilt rear
brakes,
>new rear end, new axle, new u joints all the way around, new alternator,
new
>rack bushings, new tie rod ends, new muffler, and a rebuilt carb.

So far in the 8 weeks since I bought her, new spark plugs, 5 new tyres, new
leads, new ignition switch, new battery, oil change + filter, new boot lock,
new front disks and pads, new rear brake shoes, carb rebuild, new rear
half-shaft and woodruff key, new rear bearings and trunions, new front
bearings, new fuel line, new brake lines and hoses, new master cylinder
seals clutch and brake, new badges on the boot (trunk). Even the Triumph
logon on the bonnet (hood) was upside down. I've uprated the seatbelts to
inertia though. I've spent about 50% of the purchase price on parts so far!

Then there is the ever increasing list of non-standard or missing bits. My
Mk 2 is late (June 1966) but there are Mk 1 air filters and an exhaust
manifold on it. There are no parcel shelves, an interesting reversing light
setup, radio mount, dash switches etc.

I'm expecting to have the car to a "ground zero" state by the end of the
summer, except for the bodywork and chassis - they are for the winter. On
the up side, except for my screwing with the ignition timing, the car has
run pretty well for the last 1K. There was the nasty incident of almost
loosing the front passenger wheel on the M6 (freeway) south of Birmingham
(to be told over a pint sometime).

There's loads more to do - but it keeps me off the streets, out of the pub,
and out of trouble!

I'm off to my mechanic to see what else he has found that I've missed!

Aidan