Re: SZ Choke rotation

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SZ Choke rotation
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 20:59:45 -0400
At 11:56 PM 7/8/99 -0700, Peter S. wrote:

>I asked this before but didn't hear from anybody.  I have a 76 1500 which
>has the stock ZS carb with water choke.  Before I go off to do a smog test
>I'd like to ensure the choke is not on.  Which way should I rotate the water
>choke housing to remove choke (bi-metal spring coil pulls on choke lever)?
>
>Peter S

My water choke has been converted to a manual (which is why I didn't answer
before) but the little actuator lever should be fully counter-clockwise
(viewed from the rear of the car, facing forward).

If you have any doubt (since there are several little o-ring seals etc
inside the WC that can go bad) why not just blank it off with a solid
gasket for the smog test?

Good luck.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire, ZS carb/aftermarket manual choke