Re: What is joy

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is joy
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 07:36:05 -0700
>Hi there fellow pilots
>What do you think is the real joy of spitfire ownership, is it the sun
>and wind on your face, the looks of envy from the drivers of other tin
>cans, or the growl from the exhaust as you put the pedal to metal?
  < snip >
*********************************
(all the following with tongue fully in cheek, of course)

Maybe it's been way too long since I've driven a "real" Spitfire with it's
roarty 1147 or even roarty-er 1296 (of which the 70 will have if I ever
finish it!), or the stump pulling 1493 (which I never had the thrill of
experiencing, but the only stump I can envision it pulling is if one were
to attach a rope to said engine and the other end to said stump and toss
said engine off a cliff :-}), but I can't honestly remember any growl when
I stepped on my 72's original engine's accelerator!  I seem to remember a
slight change in the note, more of a moan, as if the whopping stock 47 BHP
of my original engine was protesting what I wanted it to do, but a growl?.
. .I can't really remember a growl, but it has been an awfully long time
since then :-)

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)