Temptation

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temptation
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@comsavings.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:16:29 -0700
"Temptation, thy name is Triumph"
O boy do I resemble that remark! (UK listers please note, North American
joke, intentional use of resemble)
 I bought my first Spit (76) as an impulse buy 10 years ago. Before that, I
had never been subject to impulse buying. I drove the car daily for 8.5
years until the chassis rot made it unsafe. Not wanting to be without a
Spit, another chassis and tub appeared in my yard, and all the parts were
transferred over. Now it "just" needs welding on the drivers' floor and will
be quite serviceable. In the meantime, I saw an add for two Spits (78), one
lacking engine and interior, for $1K.
I just couldn't resist, and got them for $450.00.
Then through a work contact I learned of a 79 with no body rust, and 80K
kilometres (50K miles), bought that, and am running that daily now (that
makes 4).
Over the weekend I learned about someone who took one in trade, (year
unknown, reputed to run) and instead of saying "gee, I've got too many now,
I hope someone else buys it and fixes it up", for some reason I heard myself
say "I'd like to have a look at it, please give them my number".  (Five, who
could possibly want 5? What for?)
The only bright side to this affliction that is that after the (almost
inevitable with so many cars in the back yard) divorce I'll still end up
with at least one car.

On another note, Joe Curry's comment about getting a parts car makes a lot
of sense. Of my present 4, one is a parts car  and the rest are complete.
Using the newly arrived Vicky Brit prices, in the short time I've had it,
I've moved over $650.00 worth of parts to the daily driver. Considering I
paid $450 for a complete one, with the parts car thrown in, thats good
value.

Nick Moseley
Manager, Training and Development
Community Savings Credit Union