Re: Water pump replacement question

To: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump replacement question
From: Mike.Hopkins@mis.magna-europa.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:46:49 +0100

I have a Kenlowe fan on my 1980 spit and just took the Viscous fan and fan
coupling/clutch off and havent had any cooling problems at all.
If you are in doubt why not fit the earlier pump (i.e. without viscous
coupling) because then if you do still use the fan as well as the electric
fan you wont get any problems with the coupling at a later date. They do
also tend to be cheaper both new and second hand.

Listers,

I need to replace the water pump on my '77 1500.  It has been converted
over
to use an electric radiator cooling fan.   There are different pumps listed
for the '77 and the '78 - 80 models.  The later pumps are less expensive
than
the '77 pump.

Since I don't need the fan clutch anymore, could I replace the water pump
on
my '77 with a '78 - '80 pump?  If not, could the '77 pump be used without
putting the fan clutch back on?

TIA

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
> '80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'