Re: Sitting in gear was Starting with clutch engaged helps thrustwashers

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sitting in gear was Starting with clutch engaged helps thrustwashers?
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 06:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I don't like to sit with my foot on the pedal, but when I think its
> very
> soon to go green light I push in the clutch and select 2nd, then 1st.
> Otherwise it might take too long to get moving and the guy behind me
> is
> already going before I do.  Happens a lot.  In my Alfa Spider its a
> must do
> since its likely to grind if I rush it in.  Otherwise I don't even
> touch the
> clutch pedal.  Its better for the throwout bearing this way.

Plus, selecting 2nd before first helps to line up the syncro's, and
allows for a better chance of 1st w/o grinding.

I do this on my '92 Toyota, '71 Spitfire, and '99 Wrangler, even.
Force of habit, I guess.  Heh - double clutch them all, too - having to
pump up the system on the Spit to get it to shift right...  ;-)

Chip

===
"I've got a PBS mind in an MTV world..." - Jimmy Buffett