Re: Spit Hardtop Questions

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Spit Hardtop Questions
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:23:15 -0400
Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am now the proud owner of a factory hardtop for my Spit.
> Maybe some other hardtop-owner can answer a few questions?

congratulation, you'll probably find it off more than on.... least I do, except
during
rainy season

> 1: The parts catalog shows a short metal tube on each of the
> front attaching bolts.  It looks like these are used to fix the
> spacing between the front edge of the hardtop and the top of the windscreen
>frame.
> Without them, you would crush the rubber gasket as you tightened the bolts.
> TRF wants something ridiculous like $10 for one of these, and I could
> cut them myself from 50 cents worth of metal tubing from the hardware store.
> Does anyone have one that they could measure, and tell me how long it is?

Tube is 1 1/4" long with a flange at one end that is 7/16" diameter... Keeps
from
crushing not the gasket, but from distorting the window frame...(it's kind of
thin
walled)

> 2: Beneath the rear window, there are three snap fittings.  What is supposed
> snap there?  I guess it would be some sort of cover for the folded-up soft
>top.
> Is the normal soft top cover supposed to go there, or is there a special
>cover?

Yep, snaps for cover which would hide softtop. don't know if there is a special
cover
or not.

> 3: Do I need to unbolt the rear edge of the soft top from the body before I
>put
> on the hardtop, or is it designed to fit over the soft top?

Yes, rear edge needs to be unbolted and same two bolts are used for hard top,
but
different position (little wider out, I believe)

> 4: (The inevitable question:)  What's the best way to store this thing in
> a garage without scratching it, denting it, or getting the headliner messed
>up?
> It would be sort of cool to have it suspended over the car by a
>block-and-tackle
> arrangement, so it could be lowered into place, but this sounds like more
>trouble
> than it is worth...

I sit mine up against the wall on the rear edge. Usually on a towel or piece of
carpet
or cardboard. Thought about the block and tackle or something similar and
agreed with
you...hehehe

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
Charter Member
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
***************************