Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Growe58@aol.com
Subject: Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:02:32 -0600

Growe58@aol.com wrote:

> As an act of exteme bravery or extreme foolhardiness or maybe both, I find
> myself
> disagreeing with Joe and Andy...
>
> Yes, you get wear on ALL the engine parts with a "dry start", but
>
> 1- You have no choice on the other parts - bearings, cylinder walls etc.  You
> DO however have the option of reducing the load on the thrust washer - why
> not take advantage of it?  and
> 2-  The bearings, cylinder walls etc are not known for premature wear and
> catastrophic failure.  The thrust washer is.  Again, why not take the ounce
> of
> prevention?
>
> And yes, leaving the clutch engaged while starting means that you have to
> spin part of the gearbox as well as the engine, but that is putting additional
> load on the starting circuit, not the tranny.  And starters are cheap compared
> to engines.
>
> Please be kind in replying as my Nomex is at the dry cleaners!

OK Greg, you asked for it!!!!

Actually, I couldn't agree more.  In fact I generally do start Huxley in
neutral with the clutch out.  However, as I stated before, I rather
doubt that the brief periods of pressure on the thrust washers make up a
substantial part of the wear encountered when compared to all the other
times the clutch is engaged while driving.  But it is better to practice
every measure of caution to preserve the life of out little beauties.
(Hey, what am I doing, I let you off easy!  I must be getting soft in my
old age)  8^)

Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer