Re: air pump

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: air pump
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:11:58 -0400
the car is supposed to backfire on the "overrun". the purpose is to burn off
the unburned gases so they don't go out the tailpipe as nasty emissions.  on
the over run, ie when you let off the gas and step on the clutch, ther is a
brief period of time when the carb is still putting a good fuel charge into the
cylinders.  the air pump puts a shot of air into each of the cylinders via the
air rail. this air mixes with the unburned fuel and creates a combustion event,
thus burning off the fuel.  this manifest itself as a backfire. it can, and
should, occur on any over run. the higher the engien speed, the more pronounced
the backfire.  at this time, the diverter valve  comes into play.  this avalvae
allows only so much air from teh pump to go to the cylinders via the air rail.
the rest of the air is diverted to atmosphere.  too large a volume of air could
keep the combustion event from happening or damage the engine. ted