Re: air pump

To: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air pump
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:28:59 -0400
At 07:52 PM 6/13/99 -0400, Sam Gentry wrote:
>We just got the 80 spit running and it works well EXCEPT:  When we rev the
>engine and let it coast down it backfires and gets very rich.  Works great
>if we eliminate the air pump.  Any ideas?  I would like to keep the
>emission stock if possible.

Sam,

Chances are that your catalytic converter is shot.  That's an expensive
repair.  :(

I have left the air pump disconnected on mine because of that.   Plus, my
air pump is a bit noisy also. (Another expensive repair)  It passed the NJ
idle emissions test that way...  :)

Also, there is an off chance that your bypass/deceleration valve (front
side of carb) has been blanked off.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA
"If horrific means to make horrible, doesn't terrific mean to make
terrible?"