Car won't start - fuel tank stuff

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car won't start - fuel tank stuff
From: "Triumph TR 7" <tr7@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:23:22 -0500
Well, I finally got the battery charged and stuff, but now the car won't
start. Gas was in the tank. I examined the fuel lines and such, and really
could not find anything wrong. No fuel on the spark plugs, no fuel in the
fuel pump, no fuel in the carb.

I did a test on the fuel filter(it's a '79) and gas indeed flows through it.
The only thing I haven't tested really is the long fuel line that runs under
the car. My only assumption is that maybe something is blocked on that line,
or the fuel pump somehow decided to stop working when the car was in
storage.

Annyways, in the line trying to conquer that, I decided to fix the fuel
meter problem. I took the 8 billion pound(I dind't know how to siphon the
fuel out) fuel tank, emptied it out, and took a long look at the good 'ol
fuel sender unit. Indeed the little floater thingy has gas in it, which has
been giving me inaccurate readings.

Quesiton: since I got the whole fuel tank out, what can I do to clean it out
so I'll hopefully never have to take it out again? (and how?)

Also, is there a way I can get the gas out of the float thingy and re-use
it? Or should I just replace the float? While the sender unit seems a bit
dingy with this weird white stuff on it, it still looks usable, and 50 is a
bit much for me for a new one. I'm about to make an order to VB tomorro(I
busted the retainer ring) w, and unfortunately they don't offer the float
thingy individually(guess I should get one from rdent). I was hoping you can
cut a small hole in the float, drain the gas out, and expoxy it or something
back together

Kids love the rich taste of web content!
http://british.nerp.net