Re: Calling Dan Masters...

To: neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calling Dan Masters...
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 23:04:21 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/99 12:41:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca writes:

>  Hi Dan,
>
>  Please tell me what to do oh great electrical guru:
>
>  1980 1500 mostly stock but with a 1980 GM alternator.
>
>  My red light is always on dimly (can't be seen in direct sunlight, can be
> seen
>  in garage) when the motor is running. It has done this ever since I bought
> it.
>   Changes in RPM has no effect.  Putting on the headlights makes it slightly
>  brighter.
>
>  Voltmeter at battrey shows steady 15v.; about 13.5v - 14v. with headlights
> on.
>   Battrey is new.  Every bulb, instrument, motor, etc... on the car works
> just
>  fine.  I've cleaned every connection I can lay my hands on.  Any ideas??

Neil,

My guess is you've got a slightly faulty alternator. It seems to be working
OK, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you're getting 15 volts at the battery,
and the battery is staying charged, then there's no problem of any
seriousness.

When you say you get 13.4 - 14 volts with the headlights on, what rpm is the
engine turning?  If it's over 1500 rpm, your alternator may be a bit weak. A
weak alternator is usually indicative of a defective regulator circuit or bad
diodes, which can also be the cause of the light staying on when it shouldn't.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74