BMIHT Certificates

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: BMIHT Certificates
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:58:32 -0600
Jonmac - close your eyes!

Hi Spitsters,
        Just got my 'production record certificate' from BMIHT and was excited.
 I've
restored this MK IV over the past 9 years and am very proud of it.  Now I want
to get it
on the road legally.  Hence the request to BMIHT.

        I sent them all the numbers I could find on the car - chassis, engine,
transmission and differential.  For some very complex reasons the car had no
body nor
commission plates left on it when I got it.  Please believe me I did buy this
car from a
reputable
source.

        On the BMIHT certificate I find I own a MK IV, Commission number
FK5061L, built
31 December 1970 and despatched 27 January 1971.  I am pleased to know I own
such an old
version of the MK IV.  I guess that makes it officially a '71 model, though I'd
prefer
to call it a '70 model. (Well, it was officially *built* in '70! - by 1 day)

        The last line of the 'certificate' concerns me though.  It states:
"please note
that we have traced this car only from the Engine Number quoted by you."

        Would they not have had record of something more substantial - ie,
chassis
number?
        Which brings me to wonder - do I really own FK5061L?  What if some PO
had simply
bought the motor out of FK5061L and stuck it into his car?  And maybe FK 5061L
lived
on with a motor transplant of its own.  And then the commission plates were
lost after
that.

        Wouldn't that mean there could be two MK IV #FK5061L running around?
If the old
FK5061L has really died, then there's no harm.  But there's no proof of that.
(I did
check Joe's list - it's not there.)

        Having paid $40 US (closer to 60 Canadian!) for a piece of paper
'certifying'
that I own #FK5061L based solely on an engine number, who is the bigger fool -
BMIHT
for making the claim, or me for buying it?

        Any other thoughts on this BMIHT business of 'certificates'?
Mull that one over.

(You can open your eyes now John.)

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths