Seats, General Spithapenings

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seats, General Spithapenings
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:45:20 +0100
Hi Just had a lot of problems with the car, and someone gave my a cold.

Gearbox made funny noises, so to slow the onset of it dying I descided to
improve the clutch.  I took out the old MC and the local shop found the
correct size seal from another kit.  I then re-assembled, but my old pipe
started leaking.  It was a bodged pipe with a spitfire steel pipe insurted
in a dolymite plastic one to give a 7/16 fitting on the slave, and a 3/8 on
the MC.  Now the 7/16 fitting is for 1/4" pipe, and the 3/8 for 3/16" pipe.
7/16 unions for 3/16" pipe are like gold dust.  So my local motofactor in
Bristol drilled out 1/4 inch pipe to sleve the 3/16 pipe.  Then crimped it
on, and flaired both together.  I still seem to have a problem with air in
the system, no matter how much I bleed it more air comes out.  The only
thing I can think of is some wierd stuff with the blede nippel.  Oh well it
works better than it did.  After all that I hope my car it the onlyone with
a doly slave cylinder.   PS I happen to know the only difference is the
fitting.

I did manage to improve my seets, I got 8 quids worth of foam, and with a
bit of cutting, cut out the warn sections of my old foam, leaving the
complex bits, and transnsplanted in new foam.  I then patched up my ripping
seats with evostick and restretched them.  I washed them while I had them
off, and they are not browny grey, but white and black dog tooth check.
Gluing them to a reenforceing plastic sheet meens they wont split again, and
are waterproof, yet you dont get burnt when you sit on them. The results
very good.

I also took vinal from my old hardtop and used it to cover the hole in the
arm rest, and make a handbrake gater, again evostick.  I recon this had
realy added value to the car.

Oh when I blead the clutch I also embarked on the pain stripping I need to
do before I respray!