Re: Rimmer Bros [and gearboxes]

To: cecil wise <cwise@southwind.net>
Subject: Re: Rimmer Bros [and gearboxes]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:15:53 -0400 ()
On Thu, 27 May 1999, cecil wise wrote:

> This brings up the question:  Why are the rebuilt units from Rimmers so cheap?
> Are they cutting corners, or do they just have good, fast people rebuilding
> these things?  With my experience from 2 weeks ago, I'm leaning toward the
> cutting corners theory.

Your experience notwithstanding, there are at least two very good reasons
why Rimmer, John Kipping and perhaps others in England can offer rebuilt
Spitfire and GT6 gearboxes so cheap. One, they don't need to ship the new
synchros, gears, bearings and such from England to the U.S. Two, they can
pick and choose from a large supply of gearboxes from other models of
Triumphs -- gearboxes that share similar or identical components. As an
example, a rebuilt three-rail, all-synchro gearbox a friend bought from
John Kipping for his Mk.IV Spitfire was actually in a Triumph Toledo
gearbox case. Basically, it's the same case and bits inside. BTW, that's
held up rather well over the last 3-4 years (mileage unknown).

--Andy