Re: Auto-x wheels and tires

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto-x wheels and tires
From: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:52:14 -0500
I don't know what governing body you are running with so I am going to assume it
is the SCCA or another group that uses their rules. If you are running in a
stock
class you must run factory sized wheels. If you are in Street Prepared you can
run
any size wheel and the other two classes I am not sure. You then have to decide
if
you want to run on strret tires or R-compund tires if you are in stock or Street
Prepared. The R-compound tires are pretty much DOT approved race rubber. The
other
two classes allow you to use any kind of tire you want including slicks. So I
guess the most important thing to do first is check your rules to see what you
can
and want to run. If you have only done two events I wouldn't say you can't go
much
faster without a better wheel/tire combo. You have a lot of driver learning to
do
as it takes quite a bit of seat time to get good in autox. Most people say it is
best to learn on street tires. No matter what tires you are running you will
always be able to "out power" them in a corner and braking.
But, this is all my opinion and others may differ.

Chris Pappathopoulos