Re: New Spitfire webpages

To: "Laura G." <savercool@email.msn.com>, <Growe58@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: New Spitfire webpages
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 00:38:24 +0100
>In my handy dandy spitfire book by Michael Cook, all it says is that the 79
>and into 80 model years carried "virtually no chrome trim at all."
>I really haven't seen many '80s (or '79s) . I do seem to vaguely remember
>seeing a spit once that had bonnet catches painted the same colour as the
>body.

This might have been from the period when BL (in its infinite wisdom) seemed
to think it was better to wear a hair shirt and paint cars with all bright
trim in body colour. The Spitfire with matt black body mouldings never
looked right - to me, anyway. Equally, it's worth mentioning that cars not
built in Coventry but in the overseas or European plants did not always
reflect UK build identities year for year. Differences were small but I
don't think anyone has ever properly catalogued them - or even at all. I
could be wrong.

Jonmac