Engine Numbers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Numbers
From: Mark Gardner <mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 19:09:11 -0700
While looking through the Haynes manual I bought in preparation for
spitfire ownership, I noticed that each of the three engines had at
least two versions.  It looks like all the 1500s imported to North
America (where I am) are the same, but what about the 1147 and 1296
versions?  The manual lists "high compression" and "low compression".
Were both versions brought into the US?  California?  Can I tell which
is which by the engine numbers?  Any strong feelings about which engine
to look for?

Thanks again for all the help,

Mark Gardner