Re: Fuel tank float repair

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel tank float repair
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 12:05:12 -0700
Atwell H writes:
*************************************
> < SNIP> They ARE available, I got mine for about $7 plus
>shipping from r.d. enterprises, in Quakertown, PA.    http://www.rdent.com
*************************************
Great, I just thought they were no longer available (NLS).  Just goes to
show you what a great resource the list is.
*************************************
>PS, none of my books shows a damper o-ring.  When mine clangs it is because
>I have bent the rod maneuvering the sender back into the tank...
************************************
If you look carefully at the pictures of the sending units in the parts
catalogs on the float itself, there is a ring around the middle, on the MK4
and later diagrams.  This is the ring I am speaking of (its not the ring
that holds the float on which goes on the groove at the end of the float).
It is not listed as a separate part, and appears it is supposed to be part
of the sender assy.  Its not really an o-ring, but is circular, made of a
rubber type of compound, has a cross section shaped more like a "T" with
the "top" of the tee against the float, and the "tail" hitting the top or
the bottom of the tank in the full or empty condition.  Mine was in
remarkably good condition (maybe yours is in the bottom of the tank?),
considering it must be 20 some years old, and it did prevent the clanging
sound I heard this morning!  Unfortunately The replacement float was just a
tad smaller in dia, and this ring wouldn't stay in place - probably just as
well, as I don't need it breaking in two, then falling to the bottom, only
to clog something later - besides, now I'll have a 'nearing empty' tank
warning when I here it tapping against the bottom :-)  That is if I don't
have the Stereo cranked up (which is rare!)