RE: spit brake master cylinder

To: Tom Ambrose <tambrose@tir.com>
Subject: RE: spit brake master cylinder
From: Nick Moseley <nmoseley@iwaccu.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 11:03:47 -0700
Aahaa. Finally, something I can contribute.=20
Aside from the different fittings (which I'm told can be rectified with =
creativity and a flaring tool) if its like my project...it won't fit(!). =
On my '76 1500 the factory cut the bulkhead, and a plate with a deep =
bowl was welded over the hole to accomodate the (longer) later type M/C. =
My Mk IV project just has a bowl in the bulkhead but not as deep. The =
later M/C was between 1/2 to 1 inch  too long. I suppose one could =
remove the plate from a parts car, cut a hole in the bulkhead, and spot =
weld it in, but my answer to this problem was to go get an earlier M/C =
(thanks Michael Bayrock for posting which wreckers had Spits), which =
fits fine. I had to take it to my friendly garage to have the fittings =
changed (nothing $30.00 wouldn't solve) but other than that it was =
straight forward.

Nick Moseley
76 Spitfire FM46454U nearing resurrection