Leaking fuel pump

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Leaking fuel pump
From: Conn <conn@wctc.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:18:51 -0500
My 80 Spit suddenly developed a leak at the fuel pump. At first, it was seeping
gas from around the cover, so I replaced the rubber gasket, which stopped the
leak there, but then it began to leak furiously from around the spacer between
the pump and the engine.

When I removed the pump and examined it, it looked to be in good condition and a
fairly new replacement. The spacer had been coated on both sides with some sort
of silicone sealant (Form-a-Gasket, I think) which was badly deteriorated, and
there was no paper gasket.

My question is: Should there be a "real" gasket there, or is using sealant the
correct procedure?  Victoria British only lists paper gaskets through '78, when
it appears they were replaced by the spacer. Is this a correct assumption?

Any advice on proper refitting of the pump would be greatly appreciated.

-- Conn  (conn@wctc.net)

History shows again and again,
how nature points out the folly of man.