Re: Spitfire Tires (long)

To: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tires (long)
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:11:30 -0400
At 04:10 PM 6/29/98 -0400, Dave Simpson wrote:

>I am in need of new tires for my "76" spitfire with standard steel rims,
>hopefully later this year I will get a set of Panasport rims for the
>spitfire,  chrome wires if  I win the lottery. .  Any recommendation for
>tires to fit both  rims.   Steel rims are 4 1/2,   Panasport are 5" or
>6" ??

OK, Dave, here's where I go out on a limb with my personal preference.

<climbs on soapbox>

The essence of the LBC experience is being able to drive in a "sporting
manner" and CONTROL the car to your liking.   Four wheel drifts and
throttle-steer are a lot of fun!

As the cornering capabilities of modern cars have increased, so has the
speed needed to provide the driving thrills that got us all into sports
cars in the first place. But, it is often dangerous to go that fast on
public roads.

(For a much more eloquent description of what I am trying to convey, see
the Miata road test in the March '98 issue of Car and Driver, page 56.)

I have equipped my Spitfire with the OEM-sized 155R-13 tires.   I feel this
provides smoother breakaway than a low-profile tire, with lighter steering.
  I can drive all day at 9/10ths, have a blast, and the local gendarnes
just smile.  If it rains they just knife through the water and don't
hydroplane (important if your top is down and you don't want to stop).

The 155s are cheap too, mine only cost $31 each including mounting,
balancing, valves, and disposal of the old ones.  Be sure and find an S
speed rated tire, or one with at least (in the US) a temperature rating of
B.   Lower-rated tires are "made to a price" and could have inferior
construction, since tires in that size are often the loss-leader advertised
specials.

That said, the Panasports really look cool, don't they?   I like the way
they fill up the wheel wells on a Spit.   They DESERVE wider rubber too.
Try to match the overall diameter to the OEM tires. See

http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

to get the proper characteristics.

<falls off soapbox with a thud>

Of course if your question was really "which tire will fit both the stock
rims and the wider Panasports" THAT'S DIFFERENT... any size (or more
properly, width) tire is made to go on a range of rim widths. See

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech_f.html    or

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct.html

for fitment advice. You may be forced to compromise in order to use the
same size tire on two widely varying rim widths.

All that said, I hope your choice contributes to your enjoyment of your
Spitfire!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

OPTIMIST: A Spitfire owner who expects his car to run FLAWLESSLY and
fastens his seat belts BEFORE starting his car.

Measure it with a micrometer
Mark it with a grease pencil
Cut it with an ax