GT6 gas tank venting

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 gas tank venting
From: Robb Tones <Robb_Tones@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:31:45 -0700
Hello all,

I'm about to reinstall the gas tank in the GT6 after having it refurbished,
and I have a question about the venting.

Would there be any problem (other than to the environment) if I blocked off
all the vents that go to the carbon canister, leaving only the one to the
gas cap?  It seems that the carbon canister is either well worn out, or
never worked  right in the first place, as there is often a strong smell of
gasoline inside the car from it.

Have any of you made modifications to this end of the fuel system?  If so,
I'd like to hear what they were, and how they worked.  Might as well get it
right while I have it apart (Shipwrights disease?).

Thanks for your help,

Robb Tones
Victoria, British Columbia

'71 GT6 MK3