SU carb questions

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU carb questions
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:04:45 -0400
As I was poking around under Freddy's hood I noticed that the float bowl (I
think this is what it is - the cylinder that hangs down) on one of his SU's
is loose - it is free to rock back and forth a bit. How do I tighten this -
seem a likely cause of Freddy's one day runs great next day sputters and
spits under 2500 rpm split personality. Also, there is what looks like a
vacuum fitting on that same carb that has nothing attached to it - should
that be plugged? I tried capping it it seemed to make things slightly
worse, but of course if it is adjusted to account for that extra air it
would make sense that it would not run so great without it. Lastly, the
choke sticks on the front carb, I have to push it all the way closed - any
suggestions for fixing this. The choke cable is attached to the rear carb.
Freddy has a 69 1300 with dual HS2's, no emissions at all.

Thanks a bunch!
Kevin Rhodes (showing his relative lack of age by admitting this is his
first non-fuel injected car)
Freddy the Spit

BTW - my clutch funkyness seems to have gotten better - going to let my
mechanic have a feel before I tear it apart though.