Re: Bolt size for 1500 Hardtop

To: Francis Marchand <fmarchand@draper.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bolt size for 1500 Hardtop
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 20:28:34 -0400
At 07:28 AM 6/9/98 -0400, Francis Marchand wrote:
>I've recently acquired a '79 1500, which came with 3 tops.  The DPO removed
>all tops and fasteners (which are probably lost).  Does anybody know the
>thread size and length of the convertible top frame to car body fasteners
>(behind the seats) and also those for the hardtop where it mounts to the
>top of the windshield?  The rear of the hardtop, where it joins to the body
>behind the seats, has eye loops.  What type of fasteners are used here?

Sounds as if you have an Aftermarket fiberglass hardtop.  My Spit came with
one too, made by Parrish Tops.  It has a metal anchor for the side top
supports that says "Parrish" in script on the outside surface.

It used the standard bolts to hold the "eye loops" to where the softtop
frame mounts (Victoria British page 59, items 18 & 19).   The windshield
frame mounting bolts look to be garden variety hardware store stuff on
mine, but if you want to be fancy order items 21 thru 26 on page 58,
"headliner" section.

>This car has S/N FM913XX UO, which according to Moss and others, is a '78
>model.  The car has chrome bumpers, not the black ones found on the '80.  I
>found a list of S/Ns on the net (International Triumph Spitfire Database),
>where S/N FM90000 - FM94000 were listed as '79 models as well as FM95000 -
>FM12XXX.  Is it possible the '79 was an interim model year with cars from
>S/N FM90000 - FM95000 the same style as the '78 and then a '79 1/2 was
>introduced with new bumpers starting with S/N FM95001 or am I totally
>confused?

Well you have a right to be confused about the commision number. Sounds to
me as if yours is a '78.  Joe Curry - could you have an error in your stats?

My Spitfire is Commission #96062 and was built in October 1978 (early in
the '79 model year) according to the sticker on the drivers side B pillar.
 It has some '78 equipment (notably the air pump) but it DOES have the
BBRBs [Big Black Rubber Bumpers].  If you really want to know for sure,
send away to the British Motor Heritage Trust (BMHT) for the factory stats
on your car.   "Suitable for framing, Yeah!"

P.S. Your car has a soft top and a hardtop, but what is the third top?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA