Re: Drive Spitfire without sills?

To: McGaheyRx <McGaheyRx@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Drive Spitfire without sills?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:17:29 -0700
Jack,
I would look for a well maintained or restored example of a similar
model and do the measurements on that car and compare with yours.  That
will give you a better idea of how to proceed.  It probably doesn't
matter now about how you remove the current pamels but the measurements
will be very helpful when you install the new ones.

Regards,
Joe Curry

McGaheyRx wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-21 21:38:46 EDT, spitlist@gte.net writes:
>
> <<  Just pray the rust has not gone as far as the lower
>  "A" posts.  I had to replace the right hand one on my Spit.  When you do
>  that, you have to be very careful that you measure everything carefully
>  before disassembling the components.  When you re-install the new ones,
>  you should ensure that the measurements are duplicated.  Otherwise your
>  doors won't fit properly. >>
>
> The doors on my GT6+ don't fit properly NOW - I think because both sills
> were badly repaired in the past (they appear to be pop riveted in) The floors
> are completely rotten also and I'm thinking of getting a MIG welder, learning
> to use it and then fixing this mess myself. SO -  any advice on how to do
> this so that the doors fit when I'm finished ?
> I hadn't posted this question before beacause its hard to describe how bad
> the door fit is- one of them won't even shut all the way.
> Advice on learning to weld also welcome.
> Thanks
> Jack Mc
> 73 TR6
> 69 GT6+