Re: sit shift kit praise

To: lew <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: sit shift kit praise
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:38:01 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, lew wrote:

>     Kirk,
> How involved was this repair? I have quit a bit of slop also and would love
> to get rid of it without rebuilding the whole tranny.
> thanks,
> Lew 63 and 67 spits

Not to upstage Kirk, but I've done this many times on various Heralds,
Spitfires and GT6s. Not counting whatever time it takes to strip out
carpeting and such and get the tunnel cover off and back on, the whole
procedure shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to one hour.

And I will say that it probably is the single most satisfying repair one
can make on a Triumph equipped with the three-rail gearbox. Doing this
job for folks over the years has resulted in several folks who were
absolutely amazed at the transformation from virtually "unshiftable" to
exactly what Kirk described. (And I wonder how many people over the years
have spent hundreds for "transmission repair" not knowing the the whole
job took an hour and really cost about $50 including labor!)

All the replaceable bits are nylon bushes; they're probably good for
anywhere from 35,000-50,000 miles before the job should be done again.

--Andy