rolls-bentley

Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and Silver Spirit (and derivatives)

To: info@jhhaynes.demon.co.uk
Subject: Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and Silver Spirit (and derivatives)
From: "Richard J. H. Shears" <richard@shears.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:50:46 +0100
There has been lively debate on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley mailing list
about the availability of Haynes manuals for these vehicles.  The
Rolls-Royce workshop manuals are around £ 700 for a complete set.  There
is a new breed of RR enthusiast who wants to keep his elderly Shadow on
the road, doing his own maintenance.  Such an owner may have paid less
than £ 7,000 for his Shadow, so to spend >10% of the purchase price on a
manual seems ludicrous.

Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
-------------------------
I am sure that I saw a manual for the Shadow (I think there were two -
early Shadow and Shadow II), many years ago, but it's evidently now out
of print.  I would be grateful if you could tell me:
 - if there are any plans for a re-print
 - the ISBN, so I can track down copies through second-hand dealers
 - details of copying licences.  I have quite comprehensive CAD and
duplication facilities here; if I were to get hold of a copy of the
out-of-print manual, and copy it, I could blow up (for example) the
wiring diagrams to A2 size without (much) loss of resolution, and owners
are keen for me to do this for them.  In fact, they're keen to have A2
wring diagrams even if the manual is reprinted - so I'd like you to give
me prices for copying licences for the whole manual, and for the wiring
diagrams alone, as alternatives.

Rolls-Royce Slver Spirit (and derivatives)

The Silver Spirit (and derivates) is now a 17-year-old design, and
although dauntingly complex, interest has been expressed in a Haynes
manual for this model - especially the immediately post-1981 variants,
which appeal most to the DIY enthusiast.  Are there any plans to do such
a manual?

I look forward to hearing from you.  If you would like to join the
Rolls-Bentley mailing list in order to ascertain the likely sales of
manuals if you were to (re-)publish a manual for either vehicle, you can
do so by sending an email to majordomo@autox.team.net, leaving the
subject field blank, and in the message field including only the words

subscribe rolls-bentley [your email address]

Finally, most members of the mailing list are also members of either the
Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club (UK based) or the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club
(US based), or both. You might prefer to canvass support for a re-print
or a re-issue via these Clubs, so as to get an idea of interest levels
from non-netted owners.  If so, please tell me, and I will be happy to
pass on contact details; or you can follow the links from
http://www.rrec.co.uk and http://www.rroc.org.

Best regards,

Richard J. H. Shears
richard@shears.org