Re: folding windshield and mirrors

To: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Subject: Re: folding windshield and mirrors
From: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:12:00 +1000
Gary,

The "L shaped" tab with the hole in it was for the post over which the
"lift the dot" tab on the tonneau attached. Nothing to do with the mirror.

The door mounted mirrors on the later cars to Bl...y terrible in my
opinion. They also tend to corrode rather quickly. I am playing about with
some motor cycle mirrors at the moment, which involves making a bracket to
attach to the two bolts attaching the windscreen post to the casting on the
body. Sounds simple but needs some thought so that side screens etc dont
interfer.

Cheers

Steve Moore

 >Will, Vern, Fred and all,
>
>The discussion of the folding winscreen is interesting and prompts me to ask
>a mechanical question.
>
>My '91 +8 came to me with the folding windscreen and Brooklands racing
>screens (Cantab issue as they were not part of the original build list as
>provided by the works, but was on the original bill of sale to the first
>owner).
>
>My question deals with the rearview mirror.  I currently have a contemporary
>mirror which is rather stuck to the middle of the glass (looks like scotch
>double sided tape from here), and when the windscreen is in the folded
>position, reflects to the sky, not the view behind the driver.
>
>The windscreen has a small "L" shaped tab which extends below the center of
>the lower edge of the windscreen and features a hole through which, I
>assume, a screw helped secure the screen to the scuttle, before it became a
>folding unit.  The tab appears to be soldered, brazed or otherwise attached
>to the winscreen frame before plating, so removing it would be difficult.
>Meanwhile it covers the spot where a scuttle mounted mirror might sit.
>
>I know the Americanized mirror has some mysterious rules regarding
>placement, but have not yet discovered their details.
>
>Can anyone shed some light?  Do any of the other, more contemporary Morgans
>(1990+) have folding windscreens and working mirrors?  If so, how do they
>work?  What would be the "proper" mirror for use with the folding screen?
>
>Thanks all.  As usual, your comments are always thought provoking, and often
>useful.
>

>Gary
>Grafton, OH
>1991 +8