mgs

Re: identifying transmission?

To: "Carl French" <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: identifying transmission?
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:54:42 -0600 (MDT)
If I don't assume he's only talking 4 synchro, then there are other
considerations.  To identify 4 vs 3 synchro - just look at the side cover.
 The 4 synchro is rectangular, and the three synchro is more of a
mis-shapen trapezoid.  Further on 3 synchros - the early (3 main bearing)
cars have a small input shaft for the transmission - the 5 main cars have
a larger shaft (at least 1 inch diameter, maybe more).  The early 3
synchro for a 5 main engine also has no back-up light switch, where the
late 3 synchro for the 5 main engine has a back-up light switch.

Phil Bates