mgs

RE: I need tires

To: "'TJ Tryon, Jr.'" <tjt@insightbb.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I need tires
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:45:58 -0400
I have cooper response RSTs 185/70R14 on my tourer, I have been very happy
with them.  In an autocross the rears will polish the dirt off of the frame
(inner fenders).

I am planning Kumho Ecxta 712s for the V8, but haven't bought them yet.

As for tubes in tubeless tires I have seen some tread delamination problems
when doing this in cars that see road miles.  There doesn't seem to be a
problem with using them for parade/show use.  I think that the last time we
had this discussion we came to the question of which came first the chicken
or the egg.  Did heat build up from tubes cause delamination, or did tube
prevent going completely flat.  My opinion, is the tube caused the heat
build up and that caused delamination.  How many delaminations do you see on
three year old sports car tires?

As for sealing a wire wheel.  Usually you would buy them for tubeless use
and they have a heavy silicone band molded onto the rim.  I suppose that you
could try doing this on your own, but you would probably use pounds of
silicone and who knows if you could rebalance them afterwards.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer