mgs

Re: VrooooOOOM

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VrooooOOOM
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:31:59 +1030
"Brinkman, Gerardo V" wrote:

> >>I purchased a Peco header and exhaust system and have since installed it.
> >>What is the typical sound dampering ability on these systems?
>
> Uummmm.............. Yes - the Peco systems are a bit loud. I have had mine
> for 6 years  and in winter with the top up, it does get a bit loud -
> especially when cruising on the freeway. In summer, when the top is down,
> it seems quieter, but it still is somewhat loud - but does sound great in
> a tunnel !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, with my "sporty" two inch stainless system with just two "hot dog"
inline mufflers (thank god for the second one) I certainly upset a few
burglar alarms in the multi-storey car park, but:

a) it isn't over 95dB at 60 feet on the race track, so I don't get into
trouble there;
b) a full-face racing helmet blocks a lot of noise

I heard her taken up to 6000 revs on the dyno and it was positively
scary.  I am please I don't have to drive behind her at those sort of
speeds/revs, but those who do generally are making enough noise themselves!

On the drive to and from the track (one hour) it does get a bit tiring -
and on the trips to interstate tracks (9+ hours..) well, ear plugs and a
beanie do the trick!  I *will* get a decent muffler that has the same
flow characteristics (no-one believes in back-pressure these days), one
day, but whenever my budget stretches that far I find other more
pressing car needs.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII