mgs

Heater Installation

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Installation
From: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:42:08 -0500
Listers,

I give up!

I'm a very patient guy, but I am unable to install the heater in my '66B
with that thick rubber pad (Moss P/N 363-135, not the circular one around
the fan exhaust) installed. Even with the modifications to the bulkhead
recommended by Barrie Robinson (Thanks, Barrie!) I just can't get it in.
It's not even a matter of leverage. I don't have the engine installed, so
I'm able to sit in the engine compartment and push with all of what little
strength I still have in this 40+ year old body, but I can't seem to
compress the pad by the 1/8" I need to get it to go in.

So, in frustration, I took the pad off (is it just me, or does contact
cement work better when you don't want it to?), and re-installed the heater.
It went right in.

So, a couple of questions...

1. Does anyone have any tricks for installing the heater with the pad in
place?
2. What's the worse that can happen if I don't install the pad?

Thanks,

Dave Macedonia
Crofton, MD
1966 MGB