mgs

Re: vroom

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: vroom
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:12:57 -0700
On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 04:29:40AM -0500, Barney Gaylord wrote:
> At 11:40 PM 8/1/02 -0700, Larry Colen wrote:
> >.... she fired right up, and ....
> >
> >Now I just need to put oil in the tranny, ....
>
> You ran it with no oil in the tranny?  That's a worse no-no than towing
> with the driveshaft connected [which incidentally is no problem at all if
> there's oil in the gearbox].

I should say that I need to put oil back in the tranny. I don't know
how much is in there, a lot came out when I put the tranny in. Like a
fool, I prefilled the (ford type 9) tranny before putting it in
because it was easier to do with it out of the car, and it all
dribbled out the tailshaft.

> With the engine running and the clutch up everything inside the gearbox is
> turning except the output shaft.  The gears may be okay for a while running
> dry with no load, but the bearings don't like it.  The most serious problem
> might be the bronze bushings on the mainshaft inside of 3rd and 2nd gears
> (and 1st gear on the 4-syncro units).  The gears would be spinning on these
> bushings while the mainshaft stands still.  The input shaft ball bearing,
> the needle bearings inside of the input gear, and the needle bearings on
> the lay shaft would also by turning.
>
> If it wasn't run too long without oil you might be lucky and have no
> problem.  If it ran for half an hour, all bets are off.  Here's wishing you
> good luck.

I only ran it long enough to see oil pressure, maybe a minute total.

Thanks for the heads up, I *hope* I didn't do damage.

   lrc

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.