mgs

Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA

To: shaws@mlcltd.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB engine and transmission in an MGA
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:27:09 EST
In a message dated 1/11/02 7:03:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, shaws@mlcltd.com
writes:

> >Not necessarily - it can be done without altering the MGA frame if you make
> >up an adaptor.
>
> I respectfully disagree. Installing the  LH overdrive does not work
> with the original frame.

Sorry I wasn't clear - I was talkingt about the early non-synch trans and OD.

> >And a 1 1/8" extension on the stock driveshaft for the B OD trans is
> needed.
>
> Again, with all due respect, I disagree. You will be able to hook up
> with that length, but you run the risk of running out of travel in
> full extension situations

See above.

> >What you might want to do is go the other way! Fit a 4.55 diff and have
> >enhanced acceleration, still with a more relaxed top end than you had with
> >the old MGA diff.

Again I strongly disagree. With that combination the first gear is
> almost unusable,

So? It ain't all that useful with the 4.3.

 Additionally, it becomes extremely easy to
> break loose the rear tires. This is quite easy with a healthy 1800
> and a 3.90 rear end. With the 3.9 you get a very usable 1st gear,
> sprightly performance through the gears, increased top speed, very

Yes, you wouldn't want to break those tires loose.......

With your recommendation, you have a car with less performance than a stock
MGA. With all due respect, that is NOT a direction in which I am interested
in heading!

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list