mgs

Re: U-joint free play - how much is OK?

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint free play - how much is OK?
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
Well that situation reversed (moveable front u-joint) pretty much
describes my u-joints immediately before I replaced them!
Bill '76B

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Steve Shoyer wrote:

> I was under my car yesterday and noticed that there seems to be a lot of
> free play in the rear u-joint.  I can turn the driveshaft back and forth
> with my hand about 20-30 degrees before feeling any resistance (and hearing
> the "clunk" that I hear when I drive).  There doesn't seem to be any free
> play in the front u-joint.  Is this OK, or should I replace it?  I'm
> guessing that it needs to be replaced, but I figured I'd ask before ordering
> the part.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)

Bill Saidel           (856) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (856) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
USA
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."