mgs

Re: TD Fuel Tank - internal rust

To: arabian@allegronet.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD Fuel Tank - internal rust
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:18:20 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/99 11:04:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
arabian@allegronet.com writes:

<< BUT I presume I
 still need to seal the interior surface of the tank.  Do standard
 primers (epoxy, etc.) hold up to gas long term?  Is there something else
 I can use?  Is it even an issue since ideally water shouldn't be in
 tehre anyway?  Or am I looking at a replacement type issue? >>

I can't offer help as to the drawbacks of cutting the tank open, cleaning it
and welding it closed again.  You may want to check with a shop that cleans
fuel tanks and radiators for advice.  Unless the punctures are excessive, I
would say that repairing them and then doing an internal cleaning of the tank
with ball bearings or pebbles is probably easier than cutting it open.  If
you must replace the punctured side of the tank, you may have to cut it open.

As far as sealing the tank, I think you should do that.  Using the car as a
daily driver keeps water from collecting in the tank.  I would say that there
probably aren't very many TDs being used daily.  If you don't seal it, water
will collect and rust will return.

Check out www.eastwoodco.com for the proper product for sealing a gas tank.
Eastwood is a fabulous resource for auto restoration products.  A less
expensive alternative can probably be purchased from J. C.  Whitney.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport