mgs

Re: Which Grille?

To: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Which Grille?
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:26:45 -0400
Dave Hill wrote:

> I'm confused. Rex the '72 BGT (UK car) has been fitted with a slatted,
> chrome plated grille, which I know is the wrong one for a car of this
> age. But...which grille is the right one?
> I have pictures which show '72 cars with the recessed grille and '73s
> with the honeycomb. I also have pix which show the '72 model with the
> honeycomb grille.
> So, two questions
>
> 1. Which is the right grille for a '72?
> 2. Is the outer surround for the honeycomb the same as the earlier,
> slatted grille?

 People continue to get into a jam every time they refer to model years. You
just can't do that with any degree of accuracy. Abingdon built the cars as
per serial number specs. That is to say, the details you are asking about
were changed as per ser. no. such and such. Granted, because the U.S. market
thinks in terms of model year, many changes were made to roughly coincide
with that, but certainly not all. The best way to nail it down for sure is
to refer to a factory parts manual, referring to the serial number spec.
Rich Chrysler