mgs

Re: loss of power

To: "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>,
Subject: Re: loss of power
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:01:24 -0700
Usually a good suggestion but, in the case of Zenith-Stromberg-equipped
cars, not a good idea. The Z-S is jetted so that it will run really poorly
without the air cleaner element in place and all the metal bits properly
fitted.

However, Z-S carbs are also prone to auto choke failure, so this could be
part of the problem. The "white smoke" (if that's what it is, and not water
vapor) is also an indication of brake fluid being burnt. If the master
cylinder is leaking past its seals into the booster, and if the booster is
on the fritz, the vacuum from the engine could be sucking in brake fluid,
which quickly causes a valve job to become needed - as well as making the
car run poorly.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center